Randomly selected Petaluma residents joined an advisory panel and presented the City Council with their most supported possible uses for the city’s fairgrounds property.
Their visions include the following ideas.
· Creation of open park space
· Preservation of the annual, five-day fair
· Enhancing agricultural education
· Building a year-round disaster evacuation center
· Year round Farmer’s Market
· Year round park space
Unresolved issues are whether or not to give a portion of the land back to the Native American Inter-Council and if the Petaluma Speedway should remain at the site.
The Fair Board will review the recommendations on July 20. A community workshop is scheduled for August before the ideas are returned to the City Council for direction in October.