Independence Day is not just on July 4th. The principles of Independence Day must live throughout the year if we will continue to be a free people.
SONOMA SENTINEL EDITORIAL:
The Sentinel is adding an editorial to the monthly edition. However, this month there are no words better than those of Victor Davis Hanson. Therefore, this article will be a summation of his July 14th article.
Gavin Newsom has spent some of his campaign money on advertisements boasting that California is America’s true “free” state. Professor Hanson lists all of the issues in California that Governor Newsom ignores in his ads.
1) California’s once-vaunted freeway system is near the bottom of all state comparisons.
2) Over half the nation’s homeless crowd the state’s major cities. One third of America’s welfare recipients have flooded into the state. A fifth of the resident population lives below the poverty line.
3) California public school test scores consistently fall among the bottom 10 states.
4) San Francisco has the highest per capita property crime rate in the country.
5) California faces brownouts due to the longstanding, deliberate curtailment of electrical generation plants.
6) Yosemite’s historic redwood forest is currently threatened with what are now customary California summer conflagrations.
7) The state has not built a major reservoir in nearly 40 years.
8) Millions of acre-feet of runoff and snowmelt simply cascade to the sea.
9) Newsom labels Montana a homophobic hellhole and does not reimburse state employees who dare to convention there. However, he did vacation at the upscale digs of his Montana in- laws escorted by his ample state-paid security detail.
10) Newsom has given illegal aliens millions of state dollars in COVID relief.
11) Instead of developing California’s rich gas and oil reserves, Newsom promised motorists that he would send them a one-time fuel gift of $400.
The Governor brags about a “free” California that will entice Floridians or Texans to California. The facts are: over the last decades, hundreds of thousands of Californians and billions of dollars of wealth fled California for Florida and Texas among other states.
“Newsom resembles a pathetic owner of a once-successful but now run-down, high-priced gas station without clients. In jealousy, he flails and screams at the newer, gleaming competitor
across the street with superior service, lower prices and better value-and jampacked with his own former but now wiser customers.”